Monday, April 28, 2008

Too much travel, not enough SOUP!

Is this what I hear you saying? Could the distant rumble I hear be the combined voices of my ever-loyal readership (of two or three) humbly beseeching change? Does the bread-and-water diet of travel tales I have been feeding you leave you hungry for something with a bit more bite? Something you can sink your teeth into, perhaps? Well, you’ll be pleased to know that your cries have not fallen on deaf ears, my friends. I concur with your findings, and I second the motion for a shift of subject matter. To that end I shall dispense with the camping chronicles (for a limited engagement of one post only) to bring you a delicious, simple, and healthful recipe! =) Hooray! =) (Don’t worry- it’s easy to make, and it goes quite well with bread and water.) Have you ever wondered what to do with all of those pesky broccoli stalks once you’ve stripped them of their tasty florets? Do you hesitate to throw them in the trash (or have a small, broccoli-obsessed child who picks them out of the garbage and demands that you cook them)? And celery- the celery here can be HUGE! What am I ever going to do with all that celery?! It doesn’t even fit in out refrigerator! It turns out that the simple solution to this surplus of stalks is a scrumptious and savoury soup! =) I took the recipe from one of my favourite cookbooks, Cook Vegan by Richard Youngs. It has been tested on both Gordon and Gretchen (my friend Jess’s ex-housemate Amy’s sister who’s staying with us) who gave it two (or four?) happy thumbs up! I hope you will, too! =) If you try it, let me know what you think! =)

Broccoli & Celery Soup

Ingredients
1 ½ tbsp. sunflower oil
1 small onion
2 handfuls broccoli stalks
3 small stalks of celery
2 ½ cups water
2 ½ tbsp. soy sauce

Method
Roughly chop all the vegetables. Over a medium heat, briefly sauté the chopped broccoli and celery in the sunflower oil. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil, cover, turn down heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Liquidize and serve. Yum! =)

1 comment:

Gordon Simpson said...

I can confirm that it is indeed a delicious soup!